Washington Youth Tour
The Washington Youth Tour has been taking place annually since the early 1960s. More than 50,000 students from rural areas and small towns all over the nation have participated in this unique program.
Students on the tour learn about electric cooperatives, American History and U.S. government. They also participate in National Youth day, visit with their representatives in the House and the Senate, and explore the attractions around Washington, D.C.
Habersham EMC sponsors two high school juniors from our service area to take part in the all-expense-paid trip. HEMC has been participating in the program since 1999.
- Applicants must be a high school junior at least 16 years of age, but no older than 18.
- Applicants must attend a high school or be homeschooled in the Habersham EMC service area.
Contacts at HEMC
Nicole Dover and Valerie Stamey are the Washington Youth Tour coordinators at HEMC. They can be reached at 706-754-2114 or 1-800-640-6812 or via email at email@example.com.
HEMC Test Information
- After submitting a completed entry form to HEMC, applicants will receive reading materials at least two weeks prior to the testing date.
- Applicants come to the HEMC headquarters in Clarkesville to participate in a two-part selection process consisting of a written test and an interview. Each part counts as 50% of the score.
- The two applicants with the highest scores were chosen to represent Habersham EMC on the tour.
Click HERE to apply!
Washington Youth Tour Winners 2017
National Rural Electric Cooperative Association's Youth Tour site